4/30/13

Black Bean and Potato Nachos

Few things move me like nachos do.  

Sad?  Care.  Which is just a simplified way of saying I don't even care.  

Care.  

OK.  I'm done having an attitude now.  I guess without realizing it, I've stayed a little longer than needed in the thug kitchen.  

So, this little dish came about after discussion with my good buddy, Win.  Win isn't a 1/7 vegan but she is one of my running buddies so she's pretty affected (effected?) by what I eat.  We both agreed that this dish could be loved by 1/7 vegans and non 1/7 vegans alike; that's pretty solid if you ask me.  

My first experience having nachos with a potato base was Fat Tuesday of this year.  It was the night before Ash Wednesday and I was all set to give up french fries for Lent.  A group of us went to Webster's for dinner, that's where the idea came to me!  

Me:  Um.  Can I have the macho nachos?  But with french fries instead of chips? 

Server:  Yeah, I don't see why not?     

Me (always feeling like I need to give excessive details in all situations):  Yeah, well I'm giving up french fries for Lent.  So....

Server:  Oh, so you don't want french fries? 

Me (this is getting awkward): No, well Lent starts tomorrow, this is Fat (Shrove) Tuesday so I'm good.  

Server (now she's awkward):  Oh, Ok.  Yeah.    

To make a long story (full of excessive details) short, the french fry nachos were beyond a hit.  People were jealous and there was talk of them becoming a regular menu item.  These french fry nachos weren't quite the same as the ones at Websters but they were pretty solid.  Would they have been more solid with that white cheese sauce?  Probably.  But I wasn't having white cheese sauce that day.  

What's cool, though, is that avocados can give that little hit of creaminess that sometimes you need when you are being a 1/7 vegan.  You could also make a cashew cream sauce but who has time for that?  Not I, said the fly.  Not I.  

Enjoy!   
Black Bean and Potato Nachos
adapted from Oh She Glows 

For the potatoes:
2 medium baking potatoes cut into wedges
1 tbl melted coconut oil
Kosher salt, black pepper, chili powder to taste 

For the black bean mixture:
1/2 tbl olive oil
1 cup chopped red onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
salt

Toppings:
1 avocado
salsa
tomatos
cilantro
green onions

Preheat the oven to 425.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (Important!  I didn't do this and my potatoes stuck like all get out) and toss the potatoes, coconut oil and seasoning.  Bake for 15 minutes. Flip potatoes and roast for another 15-20 minutes.  

Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the olive oil.  Cook the onion, garlic and pepper for about 8 minutes.  Stir in the black beans, chili powder, cumin and salt and cook for another 5 minutes.  Set aside until ready to use. 

Prepare your toppings.  

To serve layer 1/3 of the potaotes, 1/3 of the black bean mixture and 1/3 of the toppings on a large plate.  Enjoy a few tortilla chips on the side if that's your style!

Serving size 1/3 of recipe
Points plus 10      

1 comment:

  1. i feel like gravy fries prepared you for this meal.

    ReplyDelete