5/7/13

Rice Noodles with Garlic, Cucumbers and Cilantro

A few weeks ago I made the rookie mistake of setting my vegan day for a Sunday.  Why was this a rookie mistake?  Because Sundays are a day to graze.  

OK.  So maybe I should regularly set my vegan day to Sunday.  At least that way when I'm grazing, I'm grazing on things like cucumbers.  

On this particular Sunday I headed out to the riverfront gazebo in our little Delta town for an afternoon picnic.  To know me is to know that a sausage and cheese plate is one of my faves...there were, like, 4 sausage and cheese plates at the picnic!  Oy vey.   

I dealt with this disappointment like any good 1/7 vegan would by eating triscuits and thinking about supper.  I had a box of rice noodles just waiting to be cooked along with some cilantro and various vegetables.  

The meal, it did not disappoint.  Was it as good as that sausage and cheese plate probably was?  Well hell no.  But it sure was tasty.  And light.  And not from animal products!  Happy vegan day! 
Rice Noodles with Garlic, Cilantro and Cucumbers
adapted from WW Online

3 3/4 oz uncooked rice noodles
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tbl vegetable oil
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 tbl sugar
1 1/2 tbl soy sauce
2 medium uncooked carrots, cut into strips
1 cup of snow peas,cut into strips
1 medium cucumber, cut into strips

Cook the noodles according to the package directions.  Be sure to not over cook them or else they get real sticky

Combine the cilantro, garlic, oil, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, carrots, snow peas and cucumbers into a bowl.  Add the noodles and toss.  

Serving size 1 1/2 cup (makes about four)
Points plus 5  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment