6/6/13

My New Favorite Hummus

So, ever since I went to my friend Liz's wedding I've been dreaming of Mediterranean food.  Goat cheese drizzled with honey....baba ganoush....hummus....olives that made you want to slap someone.  She did the damn thing, that's for sure.  
 
I wanted to try to recreate at least the hummus part of the feast for vegan day.  Each hummus making adventure I've taken in the past has been an absolute disaster.  Determined to change my track record, I set out to find a recipe that would wow.  
 
Well, would wow me.  Brandon doesn't get real fired up about hummus and BBH doesn't like chickpeas.  I'm kidding.  I have no idea if he likes chickpeas.  I'm just rambling at this point.   
 
I enjoyed this recipe because the dark sesame oil gave it just a slight kick.  Mine was almost to garlicky but that's probably because the only pepper grinder in my kitchen is a garlic pepper grinder.  That Brandon, he's got a thing for a fancy pepper grinder.  
 
So whip this up for your next gathering!  Unless I'll be there because I'll probably be whipping it up.        
Hummus Dip 

2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dark Asian sesame oil
1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cumin
12 to 15 grinds black pepper
1/4 cup water
Paprika, for garnish
 
Combine all ingredients (except for the extra parlsey and the paprika) in the bowl of a food processor and combine.  
 
Serve with pita chips, carrots, whatever you fancy
 
Serving size 1 tbl (makes about 2 cups)
Points plus 2  

No comments:

Post a Comment