7/9/13

Roasted Squash and Onions

So our garden, it's doing pretty well!  Cherry tomatos out the wah-zoo it seems but don't worry.  They taste like candy.  So it's fine that there are 8 million of them.  

But I didn't come here to talk about sweet as candy tomatoes.  Nope.  I came here to talk about squash and onions.

First of all, some bad news. Some nursty creature took up residency in our squash plants and destroyed them.  Ugh!  Rude.  

But let's not focus on what's bad.  Let's focus on what's good.  Squash and onions, that's what good.  

Ooooh weee. Squash and onions.  One of my very most favorite summer treats.  Usually, I fix up squash and onions according to this recipe right here.

Howevs, just for the sake of doing something different, I tried out a different recipe last time.     
I made this as a side to accompany some chicken fried steak (wait for it, it's coming) and decided that since the CFS would be cooked mainly on top of the oven, the squash needed to go inside the oven.  Enter:  oven roasted squash and onions.  

Woo!  So good, my friends.  So, so good.  Winning in the form of side dishes.       
Oven Roasted Squash and Onions
adapted from Green Gardens Community Farms

1 lb squash, sliced
1/2 red onion, sliced
5 cloves of garlic, sliced
1-2 tbl coconut oil
salt and pepper, to taste 

Preheat the oven to 450.  

Place the squash, onions, garlic into a bowl and toss with the coconut oil.  Season with salt and pepper. 

Spread out on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through the cooking time. 

Serve warm. 
 
**It's worth noting that I used 2 tbl of coconut oil and the S and O were a bit on the mushy side.  I'm not sure if this was because of to much oil or it's because they sat for so long waiting on the CFS to get ready.  Regardless, next time I'll probably ease up on the earl oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment