8/26/13

Apple and Havarti Quesadillas

If I said that apples and Havarti cheese were a good combination what would you think?  Would you believe me?  Would you contact 2 physicians and an attorney in an attempt to get me committed to the state hospital?  I hope not.  That would be a bummer.  

I'd be all like "I'm a therapist!  You can't keep me here!"  and they'd be all like "Ha!  You are delusional! Apple and havarti is crazy town...go play jenga!"

I'm here to tell you that apple and havarti is not crazy town, it is amazing town.  Any Greenville people familiar with the Grilled Quesadilla Cancun dish that the country club used to have?  It was one of my favorites and had a taste that I could never quite replicate.  Well, my friends, this is it. Makes sense that the GGCC was using Come on In.  Duh. 

I brought this dish for a going away party.  I must admit that I was only brave enough to bring it after it was brought as an appetizer for our cookbook club last month.  They were a hit!  All were eaten but one....and of course I wanted to eat that last one but didn't want to be rude.  Then it got to cold.  But I still wanted to eat it.  But I didn't.  Bam.
Apple and Havarti Quesadillas
from Come on In

1 granny smith apple, peeled cored and diced
1/4 red bell pepper, chopped
3 green onions, chopped
1 1/2 tbl unsalted butter
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp cider vinegar
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tsp brown sugar
4 flour tortillas
8 oz havarti cheese, thinly sliced
butter for frying quesadillas

Over medium heat, saute the apple, pepper, onions in butter until softened.  Add the cayenne pepper, salt, vinegar, garlic and brown sugar and stirl to combine.  Remove this mixture and wipe out your pan.  Add a little more butter (not to much as they will get greasy!) and set up to make your quesdadillas.  Arrange cheese slices over half of one of the quesadillas, add some of the apple mixture.  Fold and fry.   I've found that it's much easier to flip quesadillas when it's just one tortilla folded in half versus two tortillas atop one another.  But you can do whatever. 

Repeat with the remaining ingredients. 

Cut into triangles and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment