8/5/13

Frank Ann Steen's Chicken

Guys.  What was the go-to meal at your house when you were a kid?  Ours was Frank Ann Steen's Chicken.  Or at least in my mind it was.  I feel like we had it all the time.  And I feel like I whined about it a lot.  This last part?  Not shocking.  Peggy is sitting somewhere, nodding her head, saying "Uh huh!  She did!

So recently, I started thinking about FASC.  Didn't take me long to come to the realization that I had to make it again.  I had to understand why this particular food memory was so strong for me, why my mom kept making it (in my mind) week after week.  Also, I really wanted some of that Jiffy cornbread from the box.  Because that stuff is amazing.

So here it is! Frank Ann Steen's Chicken in all of its glory.  Try it out...and don't forget that Jiffy.     
Frank Ann Steen's Chicken
from Temptations Cookbook

3/4 cup of butter 
1 onion, chopped
3 stalks of celery, choped
4 tbl flour
2 cups of chicken broth
1 cup of milk
 2 cups of cooked chicken
salt and pepper

In a skillet, melt the butter and cook the onion and the celery until soft.  Add the flour and stir until smooth.  Add the chicken stock and milk, continuing to stir until the mixture is thickened.  Add chicken and season with salt and pepper to taste.  

Serve over sweet cornbread (adjust points). 

Serving size 1/2 cup
Points plus 8  

1 comment: