9/19/13

Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies

At several points during the making and baking of these cookies I said to myself:

Why am I doing this?  

Why am I making what promises to be soft and chewy cookies when (one of) my Achille's heel(s) is soft and chewy cookies?

Why am I making coconut oil chocolate chip cookies when I don't even really like anything that is coconut?
Despite these questions, I kept trekking ahead.  Kept stirring and measuring and reminding myself that even one bite of any of the dough guaranteed a horrible death from salmonella.  Or trichinosis.  Or tuberculosis.  Or whatever you get from raw eggs.  

That, friends, is how I avoided the always tempting licking of the spoon.  Making sure that the points were calculated exactly helped me to know that one cookie is usually enough.  Packing them up and taking them to friends helped as well.   

Just trying to make lifestyle changes stick over here guys.
Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from Plain Chicken

3/4 cup of coconut oil
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup of sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup of chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350.  Line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper. 

Beat together the coconut oil and the sugars until light and fluffly.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well.  Beat in the vanilla.  

Combine the flour, baking powder and salt into a small bowl.  Slowly pour into the sugar/oil mixture, making sure everything gets all mixed up.  

Stir in chocolate chips.

Place dough on your baking sheet by 2 tbl rounds.  Bake for 10-12 minutes (more like 14 in my nutty oven), until the bottoms are golden brown.  Allow to cool and enjoy!

Serving size 1 cookie (makes 18)
Points plus 6   

No comments:

Post a Comment