10/16/13

Cookies and Cream Puppy Chow

Camping essentials always include flashlights, baby wipes, a tent and some sort of ridiculously amazing snack.  It can't be good for you or in any way life sustaining.  The general rule, for me at least, is that if you trapped in the woods with only this snack you would be screwed.  The more ridiculous the better, I say, and if it's chex mix based then that is even more awesome.

I'm not sure why this is my rule.  I'm also not sure if it can be considered a "rule" if it was started just this year. 

If we were playing realzies, we'd (or I'd.  This is really an "I" thing) fess up and say that this was merely my excuse to try puppy chow.  Cookies and cream puppy chow to be exact. 

No.  Not the dog food.  Silly.  I'm talking that snack that you always start hearing about come holiday time. The one that's got the chex mix and the chocolate and the powdered sugar.  Google it.  There's tons of insane versions out there. 

As a recent puppy chow convert I'm going to suggest that you go ahead and put it on the books to make for one of the 25+ holiday parties that you be getting involved with soon.  I'm not going to suggest, however, that you make this for yourself.  Why?  Because you'll try to eat the whole thing and then you'll get a tummy ache. 

Don't ask me how I know these things.   
Cookies and Cream Puppy Chow
 
10 cups of rice chex, divided
1 cup of white chocolate chips
1 cup of milk chocolate chips
16 oreos, crushed and divided
1 cup of powdered sugar, divided
extra oreos, broken up
 
Melt the white chocolate (Read the package directions!  This was tricky for me!).  In a big ziplock bag, combine 5 cups of the chex, 1/2 of the powdered sugar, 1/2 of the oreos and the white chocolate.  Shake it all around until it's good and combined.  Set aside to cool.
 
Melt the milk chocolate.  In another ziplock back, combine the rest of the chex, the powdered sugar, the other half of the oreos and the milk chocolate.  Shake it all around.  Set aside to cool.
 
Combine the white chocolate and the milk chocolate mixtures.  Toss in the remaining broken up oreos. 
 
I, for obvious reasons, did not figure out the points on this dear dish.   'Tis best to just not think about it on recipes like this one.   

No comments:

Post a Comment