10/24/13

Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo

My favorite baby sister, Chickey, picked up this lovely cookbook for me at a sounded-like-a-blast event in Greenville.  Donald Link was in my fair hometown, celebrating the hot tamale and (I guess) pushing cookbooks.  The book is called Real Cajun: Rustic Home Cooking From Donald Link's Louisiana and it's filled with stuff that made me drool and think that I could actually shell oysters.  But not really.   
BUT.  One day....one day I shall conquer his fried chicken and sausage gumbo.  I've got the fancy pan and one whole cooked chicken under my belt.  I can do this...right?  Just need an afternoon and moral support.  And some cold beers.  Abita.  It will have to be Abita.

But not today.  Or not Sunday, rather.  Last Sunday was not the day to conquer such an intimidating dish.  That was the the day to google a gumbo recipe that didn't demand I make my own stock.  The recipe that I found merely suggested that I make my own stock.  I guess that's the difference between food network recipes and Donald Link cookbooks.  In Donald Link's world, homemade stock is not a suggestion but a demand.  There's no short cutting it.  

But I digress. At least I made this here roux.  Pretty proud of that!  Almost burned it....but I didn't.  Heck yes.  Small victories!       
Small victories. Big taste. 

Whisk away, people.  
Shrimp and Sausage Gumbo
adapted from Food Network

1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 large onions, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup flour
2 bay leaves
1 tbl kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground white pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ground thyme
1/2 tsp dried oregano
6 clove of garlic, chopped
5 1/2 cups seafood stock
1 lb andouille sausage (I couldn't find andouille so I just used smoked sausage)
1 pound of sausage, peeled and deviened  
cooked white rice

Combine peppers, onions and celery in a bowl and have them ready to go.  Combine the salt, dry seasonings and garlic and have it ready to go as well.  

In a large, heavy skillet heat the oil until it just begins to smoke.  Gradually add the flour, whisking constantly.  Continue whisking constantly and and continue to cook over medium to medium high heat until roux is dark brown and very fragrant.  Add the vegetable mixture and stir with a wooden spoon, continuing to cook for 2 minutes.  Add salt, dry seasonings and garlic and stir to combine, cooking for another minute.  

Place seafood stock into a large pot and bring to a gentle boil. Gradually add roux mixture to boiling stock, whisking constantly until its completely incorporated and dissolved.  Return to a boil and add the sausage then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.  Add the shrimp and turn off the heat.  Let it sit for about five minutes to cook the shrimp.  It cooks, I promise.  

Serve over cooked rice.         

No comments:

Post a Comment