10/8/13

Why Am I Raising Money for Ovarian Cancer? Great Question! Read On...

Hello.  Hi there!  Just me, asking you for money. 

Soo.  I'm running in the MS River Marathon in February, four months from today to be exact.  This was a big decision for me, one of those decisions in which as soon as I hit "confirm" on the registration  I loudly exclaimed to no one in particular s*%t. To know me is to know that I'd rather sit and stare at the wall and eat jalapeno poppers that run and eat vegan.  I'm a girl that has minimal self control, ergo I run and eat vegan so that I can stare at the wall and eat jalapeno poppers.  All or nothing.  What's more all or nothing that a marathon?  Few things.  

I decided that since I'll probably only do this once and I'll probably limp away with a life long injury and an aversion to running...I should make it count.  The fundraiser for the marathon is for Teach for America.  They raised a lot of money last year and I feel like it's a great cause.  But it's not my cause.  

I spent some time tossing around different causes to run for and kept coming back to Ovarian cancer.  My mind kept going to the dear friends that have lost their loved ones and to the ones who are standing with their loved ones as they fight this...all beautiful women in the prime of their lives.  It was with them on my heart that I decided to raise money for the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance.  It was with insanity on the brain that I decided to set the goal at $2,620....100$ for each mile.

I believe in community.  I believe in coming together.  I believe in measuring yourself.  I believe in the power of hope.  I believe in rooting for the underdog.  I believe I can fly. I believe in you.  I believe in myself. I believe in raising barns.  I believe that together, we can further this fight so that women can be diagnosed sooner, live longer, beat the odds.    

I also believe I would look pretty good in this teal running shirtKidding.  But not really.   

Here's the site where you can donate.  Let's do this!

Here are some facts from the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance.  Some smart folks did some big studies and here's what they found:

If you like to read....

"According to the data, the mortality rates for ovarian cancer have not improved in forty years since the “War on Cancer” was declared. However, other cancers have shown a marked reduction in mortality, due to the availability of early detection tests and improved treatments. Unfortunately, this is not the case with ovarian cancer, which is still the deadliest of all gynecologic cancers."

"Ovarian cancer accounts for approximately three percent of cancers in women. While the 10th most common cancer among women, ovarian cancer is the fifth leading cause of cancer-related death among women, and is the deadliest of gynecologic cancers. Mortality rates are slightly higher for Caucasian women than for African-American women."

If you like to look:
 Survival rate and diagnosis for varied stages between 2002 and 2008.

2013 statistics about ovarian cancer
So why the Ovarian Cancer National Association?  Well for one thing, they advocate.  And I lurve that shiz.  Here's what the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance is up to:

Since 1997, when the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance was founded, death rates from ovarian cancer have not significantly changed. However, the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance has worked to increase funding for ovarian cancer research, with the goal that this funding will support breakthroughs to help detect ovarian cancer early, treat it more thoroughly, and allow women with ovarian cancer to survive, and thrive.


We have worked to ensure that necessary treatments are covered by Medicare, that drugs and tests on the market are safe and effective, and that federal policy makers are aware of the importance of the ovarian cancer community.

Please visit the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance website for more information....all statistical information in this post was copied and pasted from there.    

Thanks for your support! 

No comments:

Post a Comment