11/4/13

Quinoa Chili (Don't be scared)

You may be wondering why I'm telling you not to be scared.  I guess it's because Brandon was scared upon learning that this is what would be for dinner.  Well, maybe not scared. Maybe scared is the wrong word.  Maybe reluctant is a better word.  Or hungry.  Protein deprived, even. 
As it is with most things, there was nothing to worry about.  It tasted great, was easy to put together and was filling.  This meal was full of green triangles, which is a WW way to say that it was nutritionally dense.  Or full of armoured calories.

You maybe be wondering how I know such fancy nutrition terms.  Maybe you've never heard about the time that I was going to nursing school?  Yep.  I was going to go to nursing school with the long term goal of becoming a psychiatric nurse practitioner.  There was only one small kink in the plan and that was my inability to pass microbiology online.  And my inability to make above a C in A and P one AND two.  

FYI:   Your adrenals are not in  your brain.  Wherps.     

So I'm still in the business of talking about problems rather than medicating them.  In the mean time, though, I'm grateful for fancy words I learned in my nutrition class (made a B!!) and I'm grateful that my my teacher said "vegan" with a soft "g" (think gin and juice) instead of a hard g (think "guns.")

You really have to think work hard when you are doing meal plans for the veh-gins!

Not sure how I got off on that but anyway.  Make this chili!  Don't be scared!  Don't feel bad about yourself if you aren't successfull in online classes!  Be grateful for new words!

Quinoa Chili
from Cooking Classy
 
2 cups of cooked quinoa
1 tbl olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 (14.5 oz) cans of diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can of tomato sauce
1 1/2 cup of water
1 (7 oz) can of diced green chilis
2 1/2 tbl chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
2 (15 oz) cans of kidney beans
1 (15 oz) can of black beans
1 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
juice of 1 lime

Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat.  Add the onion and saute until tender, add the garlic in at the end.  Add in diced toamtoes, tomato sauce, chili, quinoa and all of the spices.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Bring mixture to a boil an dreduce heat to simmer.  Simmer for 30 minutes.  
Add in the beans, corn, cilantro and lime juice and cook until heated through.   

No comments:

Post a Comment