11/25/13

Slow Cooker Wild Rice Casserole

Each year at work, we have a little Thanksgiving feast to show our appreciation to those that use our services.  It's a way to say "Hey guys.  Thanks for coming to us with all of your mental health needs.  Have some greens." 

Since my dish always has to travel with me on my commute and has stay warm while I'm doing group, I usually rely pretty heavily on the crock pot.  

Oh crock pot.  Rock of ages.  Savior of potlucks.  Where would I be without you?  Sad.  Very sad.  But I digress.  

The who brings what to this party list usually fills up pretty early, I decided to do channel my energies to a rice dish pretty early on.  I researched several different recipes, tossed a round the idea of doing something daring like adding cranberries to my rice.  Then I decided to stop acting cray and just find something that had lots of positive reviews on the All Recipes BECAUSE....... 

Work pot lucks + All Recipes = Success
Work pot lucks + Bon Appetite = Lots of left overs that you have to deal with 

This theory was almost flawless except for that my fear of not having enough food led me to double the recipe...it was successful but not that successful.  There's a bucket of this left at my office if any of yous guys are in Ruleville this week.

Let's be real.  Would I make this for a small family gathering of people that love interesting and flavorful food?  Probably not.  Would I make this for a church pot luck / big huge family gathering?  Abso-freaking-lutely.  

Tis the season for processed cheese loaf and a little bit of cream of.  Stay classy this Thanksgiving!   
Slow Cooker Wild Rice Casserole

2 onions, chopped
3 pieces of celery, thinly chopped
2 (6 oz) packages of Wild Rice
2 1/2 cups of water
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup of butter
1/2 lb of Velveeta (aka processed cheese loaf)
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms

Layer all ingredients in a slow cooker.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.  

No comments:

Post a Comment