2/5/14

Things We Can't Control (Woohoo!! Wednesday)

Nothing reminds us that we have no power over anything but our breath like the 10 day weather forecast.  I've been stalking said weather forecast to try to get ready for the marathon and to say that there have been a lot of feelings related to it would be an understatement.  You know that we obsess about the future to trick ourselves into thinking that we know what's up....knowing what's up (even when it's bad) is better than not having a clue what's up, right?  Well, maybe not.  Here's how that has worked out for me:

Last Friday forecast for Saturday:  chance of ice and snow
Last Sunday forecast for Saturday:  rainy and cold
Yesterday's forecast for Saturday:  70% chance of rain and cold
Today's forecast for Saturday:  high of 48, partly cloudy, 10% chance of rain
 
So my panic related to thinking that I knew what was going to be up in the future led to me nearly buying a $200 jacket that I didn't need (and couldn't afford) and running through the rain (wrapped in a rain jacket and crying) cursing myself all those morning I slept in when the weather was bad.  
 
That trying to predict the future....it takes way more energy than it gives you.  
 
In my random week of the marathon research, I've learned a term called taper tantrum. It's (I guess) the fit that people throw when they are supposed to be tapering off their runs to get their legs fresh for race day. I think people throw a fit because they just miss running so much! but ya'll know that's not me.  Ya'll know I run mainly to cancel out the hummus and cheese dates I have sometimes with my Akita at 9:45 pm. 
 
No, my taper tantrum is probably related more to feeling a bit unprepared and already dreading how huffy and puffy I'm going to feel.  Yes, my taper tantrum is leading me to try to predict the future.
 
Regardless of all of this and taper tantrums (i just like saying that) aside...I can do nothing about the weather.  Or the fact that Brandon might have the stomach virus and we share a small space together.
 
I'm might be ice skating with the stomach bug across the bridge come Saturday....only the Lord knows.  But what I do know is this:  less chitta vritta more shanti is always a nice place to be.            

No comments:

Post a Comment